Sunday, October 19, 2008

What’s for Dinner?

This has to be one of the most often asked questions. On a nightly basis, someone somewhere is asking it. When I ask this question, my husband says something along the lines of “What are you cooking?”. And therein lies the rub.

Every weekend I go through the process of creating a grocery list and menu for the coming week. I like shopping with a list because it means fewer impulse purchases, and I don’t forget anything. For the most part. Sometimes I do forget to put something on my list, or I didn’t realize I was out (or nearly out) of something. But overall it works well for me.

The problem is trying to decide on what to cook. We got into a rut for awhile, my husband finally complained, and since then I’ve been trying to keep it varied as well as trying new things. Even so, it is difficult to create a menu when you don’t know what you feel like eating, never mind having to cook it.

I’ve tried asking my husband and our teenager what they would like for dinner in the coming week. Their answers are “food” and “lasagna”, respectively. Every now and then one of them includes an adjective, such as edible, hot, or tasty. Big help they are. Compounding the problem is the rising cost of groceries in a tough economic climate.

I look through recipes I have saved on my computer, and through a cookbook or two. I’ll visit Food Network, and Simply Recipes, and maybe a few other websites. I’m not always looking for specific recipes, but rather inspiration and ideas.

Sometimes my inspirations and ideas work out well. I’ve gotten raves for Pork Fried Rice, Chiles Rellenos, Pork Butt (I usually get 2 or 3 meals from this), and my Creole-Style Chicken Fricassee. My guys also enjoy my Lasagna and Quesadillas (no matter which version I make). Sometimes they don’t work out so well, usually being okay rather than a complete bomb, but not something I’m likely to try again.

Some of my successes were made up as I went along. As a matter of necessity, when I get good reviews for one of this type of dish, I sit down with a notebook and write it all down immediately after dinner. If I don’t do this, I won’t remember the ingredients I used or how I put it all together, and I won’t be able to recreate the dish. Now if only I could remember where I put the darn notebook.

I’m not sure I will ever not struggle to complete a weekly menu. Yes, sometimes I do have a taste for something that I can cook. When that happens, it goes on the menu regardless of whether or not the guys want it. Sometimes I have no real problems putting a menu together because the ideas, etc just flow. But more often that not, I spend several hours weekly beating my brain up trying to figure out “What’s for Dinner?” next week.

Bon Appétit!

P.S. If you decide to visit Simply Recipes, be sure to check out the Parmesan Chicken Recipe. It is delicious! It’s also the best Parmesan Chicken I’ve ever made. Eat it as is, served with a salad, or top with your favorite tomato sauce and mozzarella, and serve with pasta. Any way you serve it, everyone will want more.

No comments: